Pages

Tuesday 16 November 2010

The rose (and the mushroom)

After a (long) summer break I went back to dyeing.

In summer most plants are dry, and there is nothing worth harvesting, but with autumn comes rain and with rain comes life. The new mushroom season has provided a lot of inspiration and new things to try.
The fibre on the following picture I could have dyed anytime because I used an exhaust bath of cochineal wich of course I didn't harvest myself

The fiber on the last picture was dyed with mushrooms, the paler beige is from clitocybe nuda and the darker is from lactarius sanguifluus . I had expected a more exciting result from the first one, violet maybe? But still, it's ok. Before anyone says anything, I have to say that I didn't pick up the delicious lactarius sanguifluus just to dye with them, I only used the stem and rotted parts to make the dyebath, and we ate the actual mushroom.

All mordanted with alum and cream of tartar.

1 comment: